Culture club

Boy George accused of ‘conspiracy to defraud’ Culture Club drummer

Drummer Jon Moss and on stage with Boy George during a Culture Club show. (Getty/Lisa Lake)

Former Culture Club drummer Jon Moss accused Boy George of ‘conspiring to defraud him’ out of £188,000 during a High Court hearing this week.

Moss filed a High Court subpoena naming Boy George, real name George O’Dowd, as a defendant alongside Culture Club guitarist Roy Hay and bassist Michael Craig in December 2019.

This week Moss, a founding member of the Culture Club, attended a three-hour preliminary hearing in the High Court for the case, although the defendants were not present.

The drummer officially left Culture Club in May 2021 but told the High Court that after 37 years of ‘service’ he was in fact ‘kicked out’ by band manager Paul Kemsley in September 2018.

That year, Culture Club completed the Life Tour, from June to December. Moss was present for the start of the tour, but did not appear in later shows.

Moss now claims he is owed an “outstanding balance” of £180,000 under a deal he signed for the tour.

According to The sunthe next hearing will be on May 3, 2022.

Boy George said PinkNews“My former bandmate, Jon Moss, has made the most unfounded and hurtful allegations against me in legal proceedings in the UK.

“Needless to say, his claims that I conspired to defraud him are entirely untrue and will be defended in the High Court in London. Culture Club supported Jon from the start in 1981 until his departure in 2018.

“I can only assume that his personal attack on me is designed to damage my reputation or pressure me into accepting some sort of financial settlement. I will stand firm against the bullying allegations made against me and will be delighted to see Jon Moss to testify under oath on what he would have contributed to the success of Culture Club.

But Moss’ case won’t be the first time Boy George has appeared in court.

In 2005, the singer was arrested for possession of cocaine in New York and was also found guilty of filing a false burglary report, after which he had to perform community service for the sanitation department of New York City.

In 2009, Boy George spent time in jail, convicted of false imprisonment after handcuffing male escort Audun Carlsen to a wall in his London home, beating him with a metal chain and threatening him with a sex toy.

At the time, a judge said he “deprived” his victim of his “liberty and human dignity without warning him or giving him a proper explanation of its purpose, duration or purported justification”, and the was sentenced to 15 months in prison.

He was released after four months for good behavior.